If you are planning to take a vacation, Himachal Pradesh should be on your list of potential destinations. Why? Because Himachal Pradesh has so much to offer- scenic beauty, breathtaking landscapes, and a bunch of adventure sports. Himachal Pradesh is full of places that are more than just a tourist attraction. Although Himachal Pradesh can be visited year-round, it is most appropriate to visit during the summers.
Known as “the land of snow,” Himachal Pradesh is the ideal hill station to visit during the summers. Escaped the scorching heat of the plains and come to the hills. Be surrounded by soothing temperature and a lot of snow! Who wouldn’t want that? If you have made up your mind to visit one of the most beautiful places that India has to offer, here is the list of the best places to visit in Himachal Pradesh.
Kullu is one of the most popular hill stations that India has to offer. With a beautiful view of the Himalayan range, this place is sure to take your breath away. Kullu is often associated with Manali, another beautiful location of Himachal Pradesh. Together they are known to be a place often frequented by tourists. Kullu resides at the bank of river Beas and was once famous as ‘Kulanthpitha.’ In simple terms- “the end of the habitable world.”
Things to do in Kullu
- Try out some adventure sports
- Go on trekking and camping
- Try out river rafting
- Visit temples like Basheshwar Mahadev Temple and Bijile Mahadev Temple.
Best time to visit
The best time to visit Kullu is during May-June and November-January because this is the time during which there is snowfall.
How to get here
- Via Air- If you are planning to travel by air- you have two airport options. The nearest being Kullu-Manali airport, which is not properly functional. It is best to arrive at the nest nearest airport- which is in Chandigarh- and drive to Kullu. It takes about 7 hours to reach Kullu from Chandigarh via road.
- Trains- Jogindra Nagar junction is the nearest railway station, which is about 95 km away from Kullu. And the problem here is that being a small station it is not well connected to other major destinations. The next nearest station is Chandigarh Junction Railway Station. It is well connected. And you are charter a bus is a cab from this place to Kullu.
- Via Road- Some buses run regularly from Kullu to other significant cities of Himanchal Pradesh. You can also take a bus from substantial cities in India like Delhi, Pathankot, and Chandigarh.
- Basheshwar Mahadev Temple
- Sultanpur Palace
- Bhringu Lake
- Great Himalayan National Park
- Paravati Valley
- Bijli Mahadev Temple
Manali is situated at a massive height of 6726 feet. From here, you can see snow-covered mountains, which are essentially breathtaking. Stating at Manali means being closer to nature as such. Besides the snowy mountains, Manali is known for a wide range of adventure sports it offers. Manali is the best place to visit in Himachal Pradesh.
Things to do in Manali
- Explore the mountains- go for trekking and mountaineering.
- Go skiing
- You can also try out white water rafting and paragliding.
- Visit Tibetan Monasteries and temples.
Best time to visit Manali
It is most appropriate to visit Manali during May-June and November-January period.
How to get here
- Via Air– Similar to Kullu, Manali is closest to Kullu-Manali Airport, which has restricted access. It is a sensible decision to arrive at Chandigarh airport and take a bus or a private cab to Manali.
- Trains– Jogindra Nagar railway station is the closest, yet has limited access. Because of poor connectivity across the nation, it is not advisable to use the station. Next, the nearest station is the Chandigarh station, which is about 308km away.
- Via Road– There is an extensive network of bus services which connect Manali to the major cities of Himanchal Pradesh and also outside. It is safe to say that travelling by road is by far the most comfortable and economical way of travelling to Manali.
Popular Attractions of Manali
- Rohtang Pass
- Manu Temple
- Tibetan Monasteries
- Beas River
- Solang Vally
- Hadimba Devi Temple
- Vashist Hot Water Springs
Shimla, the capital of Himachal Pradesh, is worthy of its title. Shimla is also the tourist capital of Himachal Pradesh. Shimla is one of those places in India which is visited all around the year. Shimla is crowded with lovely mountain views and gorgeous lakes. The greenery all around is unmatchable. Shimla is also famous for its British influence. You can witness British architecture all around.
Things to do in Shimla
- Go on a shopping spree on Mall Road
- Trek to Jakhu Hill
- Visit the famous Hanuman temple
- Enjoy a trip to Viceregal Lodge
- Enjoy Polo at Annandale
The best time to visit Shimla
May-June and November-January is the best time to visit Shimla
How to get here
- Via Air– If you want to arrive directly at Shimla, you should land at Jubbarhatti airport. It is the closest airport (only 23km away) and is well connected to Delhi. The next nearest airport is in Chandigarh, which is about 113kms away.
- Trains– Shimla Railway Station is only a kilometre away from the main city. And it is also well connected to cities like Chandigarh and Delhi.
- Via Road– Shimla is well connected to cities like Delhi, Pathankot, and Chandigarh via road.
Popular Attractions of Shimla
- Jakhoo Hill
- The Ridge
- Mall Road
- Christ Church
- Summer Hill
- The Shimla State Museum
- Daranghati Sanctuary
- Naledehra and Shaily Peak
Dharamshala is famous for its Tibetan Monasteries and the dominance of Tibetan culture. Here you will come face to face with some of the most beautiful Tibetan architecture. The fascinating thing about Dharamshala is that it is surrounded by mountain ranges on three sides and has a valley on one side. Mountains are more than 4000m high. Dharamshala also harbours a wide range of trees and pines.
Things to do in Dharamshala
- Boat ride across Dal Lake
- Visit the Kangra Fort
- Visit the Bhagsunath Temple, which is dedicated to Lord Shiva.
- Witness the Bhagsu falls
- Enjoy Tibetan culture at places like Kangra Art Museum and the Dalai Lama Temple complex.
- Visit tea gardens
The best time to visit Dharamshala
May-June and November-January are the two best phases to visit Dharamshala.
How to get here
- Via Air– You can easily arrive at Dharamshala Airport, which is no more than 13km away from the main city.
- Trains– Pathankot railway station is the nearest railway junction- about 85kms away but is well connected to major cities. You can charter a taxi or a private cab from this place and travel to Dharamshala.
- Via Road– Buses from major cities like Delhi, Pathankot, Chandigarh, and Ambala are available for Dharamshala.
Popular attractions of Dharamshala
- Tsuglagkhang Complex
- Namgyal Monastery
- Kareri Lake
- Gyuto Monastery
- Kangra Museum
- Kangra Fort
Dalhousie is famous for its rich history and scenic beauty. You will be amazed to see that Dalhousie is spread over five hills. Besides this, you can see the effect of British culture in this place. It is laced with pre-colonial architecture and also has beautiful vegetative beauty to offer. It is one of the best places to visit in Himachal Pradesh.
Things to do in Dalhousie
- Visit Khajjiar- the Switzerland of India
- Enjoy Dainkund walk, Ganji Pahadi Walk and Bakrota Walk
- Visit the St. John’s Church.
- Enjoy the Chamera and Satdhara falls
Best time to visit Dalhousie
April to July is the best time to visit Dalhousie
How to get here
- Via Air– The airport nearest to Dalhousie is Pathankot airport. It is about 75km away. You can hire a taxi from the airport to Dalhousie.
- Trains– Just like the airport, the nearest railway station is Pathankot railway station. Being 75km away, you need to hire a taxi from the railway station to Dalhousie.
- Via Road– Dalhousie is well connected to major cities like Delhi, Pathankot, and Chandigarh.
Popular attractions of Dalhousie
- Kalatop Wildlife Reserve
- Daikund Peak
- St. Francis Church
- Chamera Lake
- Sach Pass
Himachal Pradesh is home to many beautiful locations. It has a lot to offer- a peek into British and Tibetan culture, a walk through the natural beauty, and a whole lot of adventure sports. You will be amazed at what all you can do in Himachal Pradesh. So what are you waiting for? Pack your bags and come to Himachal Pradesh.